Top 3 causes of Electrical Fires
When living in Saratoga Springs, NY, we want you to make sure you know what electrical fires are and the top causes for them, so you can protect your home in the future.
Cords and Electrical circuit overloads
The most common one is cords and electrical circuit overloads. It is common to have many cord strips around the house and most of those cord strips have all 5-6 outlets with a cord plugged into them. This is why it is important to make the effort to never overload your outlets.
Another cause is lighting fixtures, both caused by the light bulb or by items near the light fixture. One thing that causes light bulb fires is when you install the wrong light bulb or watt size. The other cause is when putting materials such as fabrics or cloth near a lamp causing overheating.
As we roll into winter, many people have a space heater they use in their Saratoga home. Be conscious of where you place your space heater and watch its surroundings, also make sure the cord isn't plugged into a cord strip as well.